Sunday, September 28, 2008

The mixed emotions of raising an autistic child

My middle son Thomas is autistic. He is now 5 and making great strides, but he still has his eccentricities. I love him and his eccentricities to death, but sometimes they can make for awkward situations. Any parent of an autistic child can most likely relate to the following story. This occurred just a few hours ago.

My wife and I had a block party at the house, and Tom was behaving very well. He was playing by himself, as always, and running around saying whatever came to mind, often repeating it several times. I am sure it was apparent to a few of our neighbors that he was "different" for a 5 year old. Well, a few minutes after everyone finished eating he was playing again in the backyard. I look at the other end of the patio; the first thing I see is his tool is out and his pants at his ankles. I know exactly what he will do, fertilize the grass. I run over telling him to pull his pants up with a look of shock and embarrassment on my face. He slowly obliges, but one of our neighbors then blurts out, "Wow, that is big." Huh?

At this point, on top of the shock and embarrassment, I am trying to hold back laughter because her comment was innocent (knowing her well). The whole setting is almost surreal. I take care of Tom and run him into the bathroom where he does his duty, hand washing and all. I am now proud of him that I can hurry him a bit out of his element at times, and he responds like any 'normal' 5 year old.

What is the moral of the story? I really have no idea to be honest. I guess it would be more tolerance if anything, just for one another. I love Tom for who he is, and when he does these inappropriate things it is out of complete innocence. When he does something implulsive like this, there is never a nasty thought. He never wants to hurt anyone, and you can see how helpful he is. I just wish he could express himself better so everyone could understand him better. He alone has changed my outlook on life. If someone gets the better of me, or wrongs me, I don't feel vindictive anymore. I am just more cautious, but that the same time, I will live my life the way I want. My wants are simple, to have enjoyable times with the family. Thank you Thomas, I hope you understand how you have touched me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home